Re: [Monotone-devel] IPv6 addresses and ports (and netxx)

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] IPv6 addresses and ports (and netxx)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:29:46 -0500

"Zack Weinberg" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Matthew Nicholson <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>  Perhaps we should start a branch to replace netxx with boost::asio[0]
>>  which is similar in design and functionality and maintained upstream
>>  (and will be a part of the next major boost release).
>
> I'm all for having a maintained network library, but I have two
> concerns: (1) we need to make sure this doesn't drag external boost
> libraries back into the build, and (2) it uses OpenSSL for crypto,
> which is license-incompatible with GPL.  [And at least partially
> redundant with Botan.]

The docs on the web page say it's possible to use asio with no boost
libraries, and without OpenSSL. Whether that's true in practice we'd
have to see.

Reading the design docs, this looks like it would help solve some of
the problems in the mtn netxx_pipe class. The current netxx design
doesn't allow overriding netxx operations; apparently asio does allow
that.

Also, it says it has an implementation of async IO on Win32; that
would fix the problems with sync file: and ssh: on Win32.

The downside is that the code is all hairy C++ templates; it could be
very hard to understand and debug.

--
-- Stephe