Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:41:03 +0100

Hi,

Thomas Moschny wrote:
There is not something like a REST standard, but as far as I understood, URLs for a restful service should start with a noun denoting what is returned by that URL, and followed by some id (or, in the case of returning a set, some other arguments to further confine that set).

So in my scheme, /revisions/... (plural) returns a list of revisions, /revision/... (singular) the contents of a single revision, /manifest/... returns a manifest, and so on.

Hm.. I looked at the revision in a more object oriented fashion, thinking of "get ancestors", "get descendants" or "get manifest" as methods of the revision. That's where the hierarchy came from.

I personally don't like having to distinguish between plural and singular. However, I don't mind much either way.

Instead of returning basic_io, my service returns json for everything besides file contents (and raw output in case of the "backdoor" /cmd/...).

Ah, so you were only speaking of the wire format. Yeah, that's fine with me.

Regards

Markus