Re: [Monotone-devel] library build

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] library build
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:03:09 -0400

Markus Wanner <address@hidden> writes:

> Instead we should IMO simply rip out the still-bundled stuff (pcre,
> sqlite, idna, botan) and adjust the Makefile cruft to build against
> system provided libraries - as the vast majority of other software
> does. Or how often did you encounter a 'configure' which doesn't
> configure anything but leaves that task for 'make', making you fiddle
> with aclocal in subdirectories if things don't work out as planned?
>
> Comments?

I agree this is a reasonable goal, at least on platforms that have
decent package managers.

MinGW doesn't have a decent package manager, and I don't know where to
get pcre for MinGW; I looked for that a while ago. I haven't looked
for the others.

Maybe the upstream sources are adequate for MinGW; I have not looked.
I guess that's where we get our bundled sources from, anyway.

We need to continue to support MinGW. If we can find sources of all
the required packages, we can just list those in INSTALL (and on the
wiki page). Maybe configure can suggest reading INSTALL if it doesn't
find the packages.

If we can't find sources for the packages, maybe we can have a simpler
MinGW-only build for bundled packages?

--
-- Stephe