[Monotone-devel] library build

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] library build
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:36:13 +0200

Hi,

I've taken out the library-build branch again today and played around a bit. It took me several approaches and fiddling with auto* just to get it to compile again.

I still feel uncomfortable maintaining a special wrapper and multiple 3rd party libraries inside monotone with the additional option to use a system provided library.

It seems obvious to me that we don't have the manpower to maintain such a multi-purpose build harness, so I'm proposing to go the easier way and make monotone dependent on 3rd party libraries, without providing them (and a kitchen-sink build harness).

Instead we should IMO simply rip out the still-bundled stuff (pcre, sqlite, idna, botan) and adjust the Makefile cruft to build against system provided libraries - as the vast majority of other software does. Or how often did you encounter a 'configure' which doesn't configure anything but leaves that task for 'make', making you fiddle with aclocal in subdirectories if things don't work out as planned?

Comments?

Regards

Markus Wanner