Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync connection info cleanup

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync connection info cleanup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:49:54 -0400

Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hrm - should we really disallow them by default? Another option could be
>> to just issue a warning and let the user go ahead. Wireing in the code
>> which errors out in an invalid case and correctly rolling back might be
>> cumbersome, given the fact that we have a couple of places from which we
>> create branch certs (approve, commit -b, cert, automate cert, setup,
>> import, cvs_import, ...)
>
> A warning after the fact doesn't help much, by the time you see it
> you've already got your hard-to-work-with branch name. Unless we want
> to add a 'db rename_branch_locally' or similar to make this fixable
> after-the-fact, and then point that out in the warning. That might
> actually be the better solution.

This is a reasonable approach, but personally I would prefer an error (I
always prefer errors over warnings; it's just too easy to miss
warnings).

The error can be detected as soon as the branch name is specified, so I
don't see why backing out would be a problem. We have to add code in the
same places to get the warning. Hmm. I guess that's not true; the
warning code could be deeper in, so that could be fewer places.

This is another case where it would be best to allow the user to set the
default they want, but be able to override that default easily.

That requires overridable options; supporting '--foo ... --no-foo'.

Overridable options has come up a few times before; maybe we should make
that a required feature for 1.0? I have not looked into how hard that
would be.

--
-- Stephe