Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync connection info cleanup

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync connection info cleanup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:07:56 +0200

Am 10.06.2010 09:49, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Hrm - should we really disallow them by default? Another option could be
>>> to just issue a warning and let the user go ahead. Wireing in the code
>>> which errors out in an invalid case and correctly rolling back might be
>>> cumbersome, given the fact that we have a couple of places from which we
>>> create branch certs (approve, commit -b, cert, automate cert, setup,
>>> import, cvs_import, ...)
>>
>> A warning after the fact doesn't help much, by the time you see it
>> you've already got your hard-to-work-with branch name. Unless we want
>> to add a 'db rename_branch_locally' or similar to make this fixable
>> after-the-fact, and then point that out in the warning. That might
>> actually be the better solution.
>
> This is a reasonable approach, but personally I would prefer an error (I
> always prefer errors over warnings; it's just too easy to miss
> warnings).

See my earlier mail - how do we handle old workspaces with then invalid
branch names? I don't like the idea of bailing out with an error for
every workspace command just because the used branch option is wrong...

> This is another case where it would be best to allow the user to set the
> default they want, but be able to override that default easily.
>
> That requires overridable options; supporting '--foo ... --no-foo'.
>
> Overridable options has come up a few times before; maybe we should make
> that a required feature for 1.0? I have not looked into how hard that
> would be.

See also my earlier mail - where do we want to draw the line? What is
reasonable to expect as development outcome for the next, say, 4 weeks
in June and July, where its hot everywhere...? Do we really want to
block everything else until then?

Thomas.