Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.options

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.options
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:31:07 -0600

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08/10/2010 07:03 AM, Thomas Keller wrote:
Am 10.08.2010 13:51, schrieb Timothy Brownawell:
On 08/09/2010 06:28 PM, Thomas Keller wrote:

- If I increase the verbosity to 2 or set --verbosity=2, the --debug
    output is shown (which is reasonable, but not yet documented in the
    option text)

Whats up with that? Now that --verbosity=1 has no effect on the above
mentioned commands anymore, what does 1 switch on at all? I still note
that 2 switches on the debug mode - should that now be 1?

Right now --verbosity=1 doesn't do anything. I was thinking we could
reserve it in case we want to allow for something less detailed than
full --debug output, if you think an empty placeholder there would be
too confusing we can make 1 be --debug.

I know it would be nice if we'd have a range from -2 to 2 with 0 (the
default) in the middle, but just as we recently moved the functionality
which _could_ be available through 1 to --full, I don't see much
justification for anything else in the future to bring that back to life.

Sorry, I've been away and I'm late to the party on this but I'm not sure I like the --verbosity, --quiet, --debug and --reallyquiet options all that much.
What about this as an alternative:

- default verbosity is 0  as described above
- verbosity can by increased with --verbose (-v) options: -v -v or -vv would set verbosity to 2
- verbosity can be decreased with --quiet (-q) options: -q -q or -qq would set verbosity to -2
- remove --debug, --reallyquiet and --verbosity in favour of multiple -v or -q options?

Cheers,
Derek