Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.man-page

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.man-page
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 02:48:06 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

>> In bash under emacs, 'isatty' is apparently false, as this outputs the
>> nroff source. So we need an option to force the interactive behavior.
>
> This has been implemented. The option is called "--formatted".

Excellent. And another use for CMD_PRESET_OPTIONS :).

> I documented the command now, but left out the nitty gritty details why
> we don't install localized man pages by default.

looks good.

>> And it would be nice if the error message didn't talk about bugs in
>> monotone, since it's not.
>
> Its quite strange that the I() fires on mingw, because popen should
> really return NULL if the pipe cannot be created. Can you debug into
> this and examine the value of the fp pointer after the call? Thanks!

I tried, but the behavior is totally different under gdb; nothing is
displayed, but no error messages are printed.

Falling back on 'printf' as a debug tool, the fprintf call is returning
-1, indicating some error. On the other hand, errno is 0, which isn't
much help. And the text got printed (saying nroff not found).

So this is just more evidence of a buggy popen on MinGW.

I suggest we leave out the I(). fprintf failing is _not_ a monotone bug;
it's an OS or user problem. I don't see how an I() message would be
helpful.

It might be better to disable --formatted on WIN32.

--
-- Stephe