Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.man-page

From: Francis Russell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.man-page
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:11:15 +0100

In anticipation of the new man page stuff making it into the next
monotone release and into Debian, I started trying to get the build
scripts to generate man pages for all the supported languages.
Unfortunately, trying to do this reliably is a little harder than I thought.

For example, setting LANG to anything other than one of the values
listed in `locale -a` will still produce English output. However, I can
get German output by setting LANGUAGE=de, but only if LANG isn't set to
C or POSIX and depending on the system, there may be no other locales
available. This behaviour is (mostly) explained in the gettext manual.

In other words, on a system where other locales may not have been
enabled (such as an automated build environment), I can't seem to find a
way of reliably getting monotone to output the manpages for different
languages.

Francis