Re: [Monotone-devel] No sponsored hardware :(

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] No sponsored hardware :(
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:06:57 +0200

Am 23.08.10 19:35, schrieb Tero Koskinen:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:54:20 +0200 Thomas Keller wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was just notified that we didn't made it into the top 5 projects and
>> unfortunately got no hardware price from Thomas Krenn:
>>
>> Is anyone here on the list which could offer us a Xen instance on his
>> physical server?
>>
>> If not, who is willing to throw in some money to buy a server?
>
> I can donate some modest sum.

Thank you!

> Although, does the Monotone project
> have some money already?
>
> I remember njs speaking about it a few years ago:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg05877.html

Unfortunately not, as far as I remember this was used to sponsor people
getting to the last big summit in 2007. We asked for this money already
in the summit the year after, and it was already spent.

>> Opinions and / or alternative offerings?
>
> There is always Linode, but I don't know does it have as good
> performance/money ratio as Netcup.

Unfortunately not, their cheapest packages is almost 1,5x the price with
only 512MB RAM:

> If we end up buying a VPS for the project how we handle all
> the maintenance things? Do we need to care about the bus factor
> of the maintainer(s)? (What happens if you get hit by a bus,
> spend ten years in a coma, and we need to renew the VPS
> subscription?)

The administrative side of things is one of the reasons why we want to
do that at all, i.e. a small group of people gets root access to the
server. Currently this group consists of Thomas Moschny, Richard Levitte
and me. We could of course not only share root access amongst these
people, but also billing / customer login data.

> And how the collection of money happens? Wire transfers
> inside Europe are free (thanks to SEPA), but people outside
> Europe might prefer other ways.

The easiest, probably not the cheapest, is PayPal, but I think if people
are willing to spend money at all, we should surely be able to find a
proper way to collect it.

Thomas.