Re: [Monotone-devel] A few message seem a bit... confusing

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A few message seem a bit... confusing
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 05:06:44 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:39:14 -0400, Hendrik Boom
<address@hidden> said:

hendrik> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 08:41:18PM +0200, Richard Levitte wrote:
hendrik> > Hey,
hendrik> >
hendrik> > I'm currently translating new strings to Swedish, and I'm noticing a
hendrik> > few things that seem, at the very least, confusing...
hendrik> >
hendrik> > 1. URL/URI: in some messages, we say URL and in others, we say URI.
hendrik> >    I'd suggest going for one of them, not both.
hendrik>
hendrik> URLs and URIs are different things.

Yes and no.  A URL is a subset of a URI.  Our 'thing' is both.
(see http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.html#sec-1.1.3)

hendrik> Do we distinguish them and use them appropriately, or are we
hendrik> playing at elegant variation?

Here's the full collection (msgids only), you tell me:

#: cmd_netsync.cc:66 cmd_netsync.cc:467
#, c-format
msgid "cannot use --exclude in URL mode"

#: cmd_netsync.cc:106
msgid ""
"[URL]\n"
"[ADDRESS[:PORTNUMBER]]"

#: cmd_netsync.cc:537 cmd_netsync.cc:560 cmd_netsync.cc:586 cmd_netsync.cc:621
#: cmd_netsync.cc:647 cmd_netsync.cc:687
msgid ""
"[URL]\n"
"[ADDRESS[:PORTNUMBER] [PATTERN ...]]"

#: cmd_netsync.cc:719
msgid ""
"URL [DIRECTORY]\n"
"HOST[:PORTNUMBER] BRANCH [DIRECTORY]"

#: cmd_netsync.cc:740
#, c-format
msgid "the --branch option is only valid with an URI to clone"

#: cmd_netsync.cc:869
#, c-format
msgid "choose one with '%s clone -r<id> URL'"

#: network/connection_info.cc:422
#, c-format
msgid ""
"include / exclude pattern was given both as part of the URL and as a "
"separate argument."

#: network/connection_info.cc:470
#, c-format
msgid ""
"no branch pattern found in URI, will try to use suitable database defaults "
"if available"

#: network/connection_info.cc:492
#, c-format
msgid ""
"separate server and pattern arguments are deprecated, please consider using "
"the URI calling syntax instead"

#: uri.cc:44
#, c-format
msgid "IPv6 address in URI has no closing ']'"

#: uri.cc:64
#, c-format
msgid "explicit port-number specification in URI has no digits"

#: uri.cc:67
#, c-format
msgid "explicit port-number specification in URI contains nondigits"

#: uri.cc:180 uri.cc:183 uri.cc:205 uri.cc:226
#, c-format
msgid "Bad URLencoded string '%s'"

I find the mixup in the clone messages especially cute ;-)

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/