[Monotone-devel] A few message seem a bit... confusing

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: [Monotone-devel] A few message seem a bit... confusing
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:41:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hey,

I'm currently translating new strings to Swedish, and I'm noticing a
few things that seem, at the very least, confusing...

1. URL/URI: in some messages, we say URL and in others, we say URI.
   I'd suggest going for one of them, not both.

2. The message "could not query default database locations" is very
   confusing, it doesn't say at all what's really wrong, it just looks
   like there's a magic query done somewhere.  In reality, this is
   something that's configured in a monotonerc somewhere, but I
   wouldn't understand that from this message.  I suggest it gets
   changed to "no default database location configured" (I'm
   translating to something like that in Swedish, anything else just
   doesn't make sense)

   Ref: cmd_list.cc:625 database.cc:4956

3. A little here and there, we're refering a "globish" or "globish
   pattern...  I found that hard to translate and have a look around,
   and discovered that this word is incorrect, at least according to
   wikipedia.  It should be called a "glob".

   Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob_(programming)
        http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/glob

   (btw, that makes "globish pattern" a tautology)

   ... it isn't really easier to translate, but ... ;-)

4. What's up with the lack of punctuation in messages???  I can
   possibly understand when it's only sentence, but this is getting
   ridiculous (not to mention difficult to read)!

     dropping incoming cert which was signed by a key we don't have
     you probably need to obtain this key from a more recent netsync peer
     the name of the key involved is '%s', but note that there are multiple
     keys with this name and we don't know which one it is

   Ref: network/netsync_session.cc:1030

   (I've translated that particular message with first capital letters
   and a period at the end of the message...  really, it was just too
   ridiculous)

   Also, at this point it seems to be a bit random for single sentence
   messages as well.  Most message lack periods at the end, but some
   have them.

5. Some %s are not quoted, some are quoted with '', some are quoted
   with `', some are quoted with <>...  Is there a reason or are we
   just not consistent?

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/