Re: [Monotone-devel] A few message seem a bit... confusing

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A few message seem a bit... confusing
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 23:21:10 +0200

Am 24.10.10 20:41, schrieb Richard Levitte:
> Hey,
>
> I'm currently translating new strings to Swedish, and I'm noticing a
> few things that seem, at the very least, confusing...
>
> 1. URL/URI: in some messages, we say URL and in others, we say URI.
>    I'd suggest going for one of them, not both.
>
> 2. The message "could not query default database locations" is very
>    confusing, it doesn't say at all what's really wrong, it just looks
>    like there's a magic query done somewhere.  In reality, this is
>    something that's configured in a monotonerc somewhere, but I
>    wouldn't understand that from this message.  I suggest it gets
>    changed to "no default database location configured" (I'm
>    translating to something like that in Swedish, anything else just
>    doesn't make sense)
>
>    Ref: cmd_list.cc:625 database.cc:4956
>
> 3. A little here and there, we're refering a "globish" or "globish
>    pattern...  I found that hard to translate and have a look around,
>    and discovered that this word is incorrect, at least according to
>    wikipedia.  It should be called a "glob".
>
>    Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob_(programming)
>         http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/glob
>
>    (btw, that makes "globish pattern" a tautology)
>
>    ... it isn't really easier to translate, but ... ;-)
>
> 4. What's up with the lack of punctuation in messages???  I can
>    possibly understand when it's only sentence, but this is getting
>    ridiculous (not to mention difficult to read)!
>
>      dropping incoming cert which was signed by a key we don't have
>      you probably need to obtain this key from a more recent netsync peer
>      the name of the key involved is '%s', but note that there are multiple
>      keys with this name and we don't know which one it is
>
>    Ref: network/netsync_session.cc:1030
>
>    (I've translated that particular message with first capital letters
>    and a period at the end of the message...  really, it was just too
>    ridiculous)
>
>    Also, at this point it seems to be a bit random for single sentence
>    messages as well.  Most message lack periods at the end, but some
>    have them.
>
> 5. Some %s are not quoted, some are quoted with '', some are quoted
>    with `', some are quoted with <>...  Is there a reason or are we
>    just not consistent?

Excellent list - I stumbled over all these issues in the past as well,
especially the punctation and quoting things and also the missing
capitalization for most of our sentences.

For now I created a new RoadMap [0] entry for all these things. Let us
pragmatically choose something, put it into HACKING and change and
retranslate the current strings accordingly. We might also want to
collect the issues in a wiki page at first and then discuss their
solutions on the i18n list.

Thomas.

[0] http://wiki.monotone.ca/RoadMap/