Re: [Monotone-devel] Time for 0.99

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Time for 0.99
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:56:16 +0200

Am 24.10.10 15:43, schrieb Richard Levitte:
> In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 24 Oct 2010 12:47:11 +0200, Thomas Keller
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> me> > po/sv.po: 1315 translated, 68 fuzzy, 135 untranslated messages.
> me>
> me> No changes here.
>
> I've been ill for a while (10 days or so).  A heavy cold.  I'm just
> now starting to come out of it.
>
> me> 1) Our buildbot infrastructure still does not work (Richard...?). I'd
>
> See my excuse above ;-)

No problem, good to have you back :)

> me> 2) I have an yet unfinished hack sitting in my workspace which should
> me> provide better compatibility towards RFC 3986 (yes, the URI issue). I'll
> me> hopefully fix and commit that within the next one or two days.
>
> Hmm, maybe I've missed something, what issue is there still?

I had a deeper look at the referenced RFC this is the outcome:

a) I agree we should not treat the slash between the authority and the
path as part of the path. I fixed that in my code already.

b) Its stupid to force people into typing up to four slashes for the
file: protocol. The file: protocol is the protocol we currently support
that allows to have no authority; likewise it - the file: protocol - may
have an authority by definition, but we do not support that anyhow, so
we could easily make a special case for that. The RFC also states that
an URL with an authority has always a relative or no path, so things
like file://// look rather dubious to me and I don't want to make this
the default for our use cases.

c) I'd like to achieve RFC 3986 compliance, i.e. it should be a
no-brainer for people to find out how URIs work in monotone just because
they're used to them in countless other applications. I still like to
make it as easy as possible for them to type them in  though - and that
means that I don't want to force them into typing "mtn://" for default
network actions each time. The URI scheme should be clear and helpful,
not a burden to type for the user (no browser forces you to type http://
in front of an URL, right?). If this means special hacks in the URI
code, then I'm up to do them.

d) During the reading through RFC 3986 I found other minor bugs in our
URI handling, for example the RFC states that the authority should be
handled case insensitive, which practically means it should be
lowercased, so code.monotone.ca, CODE.monotone.CA and coDe.monotone.Ca
can all use the same acknowledged server cert.

> me> If everything goes fine we could release 0.99 by Wednesday or Thursday
> me> and the remaining i18n would have to be done after 0.99, unless somebody
> me> steps up and tells me that he still plans to do fundamental improvements
> me> wrt i18n until next sunday...
>
> Hmmm...  I want to get the Swedish translation as done as I can.
> Thursday sounds fine by me (when you say a day, I trust you're talking
> about the evening, or?)

Yes, always the evening :) Thursday sounds fine to me as well. I really
just want to get my ass off and do it not much later than that, because
more and more people are bitten by the SQLite 3.7.3 bug, which might
force us to do a 0.48.2 if it takes much longer.

Thomas.