Re: [Monotone-devel] preparing for release 1.1

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] preparing for release 1.1
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:48:24 +0200

Stephen,

On 04/22/2014 04:45 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> We have always had failing tests on Cygwin (I believe). Not enough
> motivation to fix them.

I already fixed all but one. And netsync_largish_file seems important
enough to have a deeper look.

> My past experience with buildbot slaves is that they are much more pain
> than they are worth.

Well, in my past experience, proper testing makes the difference between
quality work and BS. So I use unit testing quite a lot.

That being said, I agree that time spent to write tests vs actual code
needs to maintain a reasonable balance. I've just disabled some tests
that failed and which I think are beyond that balance to maintain.

Another aspect of this is that shipping tests that fail give the user a
bad impression. Therefore, I'm rather disabling a test that's hard to
fix and of questionable value than shipping it, knowing it's failing.

Regards

Markus Wanner