Re: [Monotone-devel] preparing for release 1.1

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] preparing for release 1.1
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:10:43 -0500

Markus Wanner <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen,
>
> On 04/22/2014 04:45 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> We have always had failing tests on Cygwin (I believe). Not enough
>> motivation to fix them.
>
> I already fixed all but one. And netsync_largish_file seems important
> enough to have a deeper look.
>
>> My past experience with buildbot slaves is that they are much more pain
>> than they are worth.
>
> Well, in my past experience, proper testing makes the difference between
> quality work and BS. So I use unit testing quite a lot.

I have no problem running the tests on request (although not with 1 hr
response time); I just don't think maintaining a buildbot is worth the
trouble.

> That being said, I agree that time spent to write tests vs actual code
> needs to maintain a reasonable balance. I've just disabled some tests
> that failed and which I think are beyond that balance to maintain.

And time is better spent actually running tests and fixing problems, as
opposed to fixing the buildbot infrastructure.

> Another aspect of this is that shipping tests that fail give the user a
> bad impression. Therefore, I'm rather disabling a test that's hard to
> fix and of questionable value than shipping it, knowing it's failing.

+1

I think we are violently agreeing :).

--
-- Stephe