Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh with mobile devices [was: Re: replyfilter trouble

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh with mobile devices [was: Re: replyfilter trouble with messages from "XFINITY Connect Mobile App"]
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 15:38:43 -0400

>So, is the basic idea to have the user interface to nmh operate
>via all the same nmh commands and present a folder view to the
>user.?  But, the message storage would move into an IMAP form,
>possibly manipulated by OfflineIMAP?  If so, it sounds like nmh
>could need a lot of refactoring to funnel the nmh <--> IMAP
>interchanges through the smallest reasonable number of functions.
>A companion set of functions could be maintained to continue with
>the MH storage format.

Here's my thinking.

The "local store" side of things is Maildir.  You manipulate the Maildir
store with whatever tools you want, and next time you sync using OfflineIMAP,
it moves any changes you made locally up to the IMAP server and vice versa.

Replace "Maildir" with "nmh folders".  There are technical challenges, but
nothing I think is insurmountable.  Basically, nmh shouldn't have to change.
The "smarts" would all be in OfflineIMAP.

--Ken