Re: (No Subject)

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: (No Subject)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 14:49:40 -0500

>I think I should be able to do it with replĀ -filter.  I tried this:
>
>from:nocomponent,formatfield="At %(tws{date})
>%(unquote(decode(friendly{text}))) writes:"

I see what you're trying to do here, but sadly this won't work like this
(but I understand why you're trying this).  But you should be able to
accomplish this another way.

The answer is _in mhl_, every execution of formatfield is considered
independent and doesn't have to the complete message; what happens is
the selected header is provided to the formatfield snippet using the
"text" pseudo-component.  That's why for that above example, "text" is
used instead of "from".  It doesn't know about the Date header because
that's never fed into it (arguably it should be, but ... well, the
code is kind of a mess).  You CAN get access to date header directly
in the "date" line, so you COULD have it output it separately but getting
both things on one line might be tough.

But you should be able to do this directly in the format program provided
to repl (e.g., replcomps, replgroupcomps).  That one is run on the whole
message and has access to all message header.  So you'd put at the bottom
of replcomps something like:

--------
At %(tws{date}) %(unquote(decode(friendly{text}))) writes:

Or, whatever.  You can get creative if you want:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2015-01/msg00004.html

--Ken