Re: mhbuild and long header fields

From: Philipp
Subject: Re: mhbuild and long header fields
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 16:48:10 +0200

[2023-08-27 09:29] David Levine <levinedl@acm.org>
> Philipp wrote:
>
> > Do you only test the patch or have you looked at the code? It would
> > be nice to get some feedback on the implementation.
>
> My only comment on the code itself is that I prefer functions that
> just do one thing.  So I would implement a fold function that just
> modifies a string, and leave the fprintf/fwrite to output_headers().

I have thought about this, but this would require fold() to allocate memory.
Because the plan was to use fold() in output_headers() I though this could
be avoided.

> There is a bigger issue, however.  output_headers() gets called by
> other code, such as mhfixmsg via output_message_fp().  So the change
> as-is interferes badly with it.  I haven't looked for a better place
> to fold the header fiels, but we'll have to find one.

As far as I see output_message_fp() is currently only used by mhfixmsg
and mhbuild. For mhfixmsg I though it would be ok to also fold the field.

For the blank lines you mentioned: Can you test the attached version of
my patch. If this don't fix your problem, can you provide a sample mail?

Philipp