Re: Calendaring?

From: doug dougwellington . com
Subject: Re: Calendaring?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 12:53:12 +0000

I appreciate that.  I spent the first 20+ years of my career as a system and network administrator, so I'm a hopeless vi guy.  I tried to learn Emacs several times over the years, with no joy.  (Obscure pun?)  I was too impatient.  "I know how to do this with vim, don't have time to learn a different way."  Definitely system admin land.  If I had started as a programmer, I'd probably be an Emacs user.  This might be an odd comparison, but it's like Python vs. Java to me.  Python is small, relatively fast, good libraries, etc., whereas Java takes a while to instantiate and has all kinds of amazing tools and languages in its ecosystem.

We also tried Eclipse for a while, tried to turn it into the front end for our processing framework, but talk about the opposite philosophy of the Unix ethic...