Re: Calendaring?

From: Thomas Dupond
Subject: Re: Calendaring?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 11:47:59 +0100

Le 2023-11-02 à 19:04, Conrad Hughes via Discussion of nmh development, and help for new users a écrit :
So since you sound technically inclined..

Just to follow up with a summary of what's involved in self-hosting,
which *does work* across all platforms if you try hard enough, these are
some of the things you need to consider:

   - You can host the server at home or on a commercial hosting service:
     I run davical in a container, and while it didn't do a lot to make
     setup easy, it's pretty much fire-and-forget in the manner of most
     Linux stuff.  If hosting from home you need to sort out NAT so your
     mobile devices can reach the server on the move.  davical is
     lightweight and will run on pretty much any hardware you can think
     of.  OwnCloud is a viable alternative with similar considerations.

I personally host a NextCloud instance (OwnCloud fork) on a small optiplex in a closet. Even though I'm not in a trade related to computing it was easy and fire-and-forget. Just installed Debian, then used the NextCloud snap.

Now I have CardDav, CalDav and cloud storage at home. It is very nice. Can recommend OwnCloud/NextCloud. Also many companies sell NextCloud hosting so it can be even easier to use :^)

--
Thomas