Re: Testing the welcome message (was: nmh is vital to me)

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: Testing the welcome message (was: nmh is vital to me)
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 13:22:24 -0500

>Dear colleagues,
>I have for a long time had a different issue with the welcome message.
>Perhaps it is worthwhile to report. To produce this issue, set up a new
>MH directory, and run a failing command as the first command.
>[...]
>$ scan +this-is-not-a-folder  # Show the welcome message
>$ scan +this-is-not-a-folder  # Show the welcome message
>$ folders                     # Show the welcome message
>$ scan +this-is-not-a-folder  # Don't show the welcome message

So what's happening here is the information that you've seen the welcome
message is stored in the context file.  But depending on what happens the
context file is not always updated; for example, if the command errors
out.  So the successful run of "folders" updates the context file and
subsequent commands don't show the welcome message.

--Ken