Re: message-Id has localhost

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: message-Id has localhost
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 19:45:50 -0500

>I noticed that my emails have stuff like:
>
>rather than my hostname or domain name.
>Since it's like this in my outgoing folder, it must be generated by NMH
>rather than by my local postfix.

That would be a nmh-style Message-ID; the first number is the process
id of whatever generated that (probably post(8)), the second is a Unix
timestamp.  Do you have -msgid set in your profile for send(1)?

>I think that mts.conf ought to set this, but localname/localdomain do not
>seem right, and they aren't set, so my hostname (which is correct, I think)
>ought to be used.
>
>I'm running 1.7+dev ... NOPE.
>I'm actually rather unsure how to get a --version out of NMH.

I think pretty much anything takes a -version flag?

% mhparam -version
mhparam -- nmh-1.8 built 2023-06-21 04:53:27 +0000 on Ventura

>Still have @localhost in the message-id.

>From the code, that's calling LocalName(1).

What that does is: getaddrinfo(gethostname(), AI_CANONNAME).  So maybe
your resolver library canonicalizes your hostname to "localhost"?  If
getaddrinfo() fails then it falls back to the value of gethostname().

--Ken