Re: message-Id has localhost

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: message-Id has localhost
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:05:04 +0000

Hi Ken,

> > > 4) Some people, for reasons I would classify as "vague", prefer to
> > >    generate their Message-IDs locally so their saved copy of the
> > >    message has the Message-ID in it.
> >
> > The reason you state seems precise rather than vague.
>
> I mean, that's not a reason in my thinking?  Like, WHY do people want
> that?

To be able to uniquely refer to that email in future by knowing what the
message-id field contains.  The reference may be to oneself or to other
recipients.  That is the purpose of the field.  Not knowing the field's
value lessens its worth to tracing the flow through downstream parties
in log files.

It's a lot easier to give the unique message ID than a combination of
date, subject, and a bit of a description about the body's content and
then have others have to search.

--
Cheers, Ralph.