Re: message-Id has localhost

From: Andy Bradford
Subject: Re: message-Id has localhost
Date: 31 Dec 2023 13:40:27 -0700

Thus said Ken Hornstein on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 15:00:38 -0500:

> >Can we just use "localname" from mts.conf?
>
> We COULD, it would just be wrong for some people.

I definitely don't want nmh generating  Message-ID unless I ask it to do
so as my MTA is already correctly configured.

The  MTA that  I use,  qmail, does  not use  the hostname,  it uses  one
of  2 configuration  files...  /var/qmail/control/me  by default  unless
/var/qmail/control/idhost exists in which case it uses that.

However,  that  only  allows  me  to customize  the  right-side  of  the
Message-ID. The left-side  is predetermined and uses  basically what the
RFC recommends (a timestamp and a PID).

Andy