Re: message-Id has localhost

From: Andy Bradford
Subject: Re: message-Id has localhost
Date: 31 Dec 2023 13:24:28 -0700

Thus said Ken Hornstein on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:56:38 -0500:

> I am personally skeptical that people actually configure this.

I also  find it hard  to beleive  that someone wants  the MUA to  have a
specific Message-ID for their email, but  there is at least one software
that I'm aware of that does act upon the contents of it:

http://smarden.org/qconfirm/qconfirm-check-mid.1.html

It  seems  reasonable to  believe  that  I  may  want control  over  the
Message-ID for the purpose of making this work, however, it's definitely
not required that the MUA be responsible for this.

> My personal feeling is that the people who (a) care about generating a
> local Message-ID, and (b) actually care  WHAT appears right of the '@'
> either need to  configure their system appropriately or  write code to
> change nmh behavior.

I think that's  reasonable. I don't see anything  necessarily wrong with
nmh being  able to generate  a Message-ID so  I'm sure patches  would be
considered if someone offered.

Andy