om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Re: midi input broken ?

From: Lars Luthman
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Re: midi input broken ?
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:11:24 +0100

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 17:04 +0100, Olivier El Mekki wrote:
>   hello,
>
>   I also have troubles with the midi_input plugin, but I just can't tell
> if it's an om problem, because I'm not habit to use the midi with linux...
>
>   I use an usb/midi interface, which seem to work well because I can get
> it throught a /dev/midi* . The interface (xp midi mate), appears
> instantly when I lauch patchage, it work well if I connect it to
> rosegarden throught patchage, but I can't use it with om...
>
>   In the examples patches, I saw that noone seem to use the midi_input
> plugin, but directly the note_in plugin, which don't make an midi input
> appearing in the om object of patchage...

I don't think the examples have been updated since 0.2, where the
note_in modules would actually add a MIDI port to the patch. Now you
need to add a midi_input module as well and connect it to the note_in.

>   On the om wiki, I saw something in a tutorial saying: "There should
> exist a new ALSA midi port now. Hook it up to your favourite Midi
> source". Is this talking about a redirection of a /dev/* ?

No, Om has nothing to do with device files. It only uses ALSA sequencer
ports (the ones that appear in qjackctl or patchage) or JACK MIDI.

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php