[rdiff-backup-users] removing another feature (was: complete backup?)

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] removing another feature (was: complete backup?)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:27:04 -0800

  KK> Received error 'No read permissions' when dealing with file
  KK> /dsl/cluster/home/ljosa/genbank/daily/.in.old.gbcu.flat.gz,
  KK> skipping...

  KK> --w------- 1 ljosa grads 2147483647 Sep 21 03:34
  KK> .in.old.gbcu.flat.gz

  KK> and therefor not readable.  I thought most backup programs would
  KK> ignore the actuall permission bits.
  KK> Is this a bug or a feature?

Uhh, feature. :-)  And are you sure most backup programs ignore
permission bits?  What programs do you have in mind?  It's not a
question of paying attention to the permissions - if you are not
running as root then reading the file will fail because you don't have
the permissions.  Under unix file permissions aren't an opt-in system.

    That being said, if you the --change-source-perms option
rdiff-backup will try to change the permission, read the file, and
then change it back.  Of course if you aren't ljosa then this won't
work either.

    However I was thinking of getting rid of this option.  Does anyone
use it?  It makes things complicated because it prevents random access
to directories---to add or delete some file rdiff-backup may have to
change directory permissions at each level, make the change, and then

Ben Escoto