Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.11.1 released

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.11.1 released
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:18:54 -0800

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:56:05PM -0800, Alan wrote:
> Yay!  Great to hear... I just got caught with having to restore all the
> perms on /var/mail and /var/spool when my raid array when bye bye, so
> this is a much anticipated feature :)

You mean ownership?  What problems are there restoring permissions?

> One quick question though, is it safe to upgrade both rdiff-backup and
> continue backing up data to the same place?  IE: will it write the
> metadata for the new and old data properly, or should I re-start the
> backup tree from scratch?

Yes, you don't need to start fresh.  It won't write metadata files for
old data, but if a metadata file isn't found, metadata will be read
from the actual files like before.  There is one issue though:
previous versions stored old hard link information is a special file,
which the new version doesn't support.  So if you restore an older
backup (a backup that is not the current mirror and made by an older
version) using the new version, no files will end up hard linked.

--
Ben Escoto