Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.11.1 released

From: Alan
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.11.1 released
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:46:40 -0800

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 09:18:54PM -0800, Ben Escoto wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:56:05PM -0800, Alan wrote:
> > Yay!  Great to hear... I just got caught with having to restore all the
> > perms on /var/mail and /var/spool when my raid array when bye bye, so
> > this is a much anticipated feature :)
>
> You mean ownership?  What problems are there restoring permissions?

This is with .10.xx, but when I restored it was restored with the
uid/gid of the user on the remote system, which of course left my spool
directory all owned by some random user on my system :)  I'm assuming
that this is normal with .10.x, and fixed in .11.x right?  Or did I do
something strange?  I'm doing the backup as root on box1, backing up to
box2 as user foo, and then restoring back to box1 as root (logging into
box2 as user foo of course to do the backup).

> > One quick question though, is it safe to upgrade both rdiff-backup and
> > continue backing up data to the same place?  IE: will it write the
> > metadata for the new and old data properly, or should I re-start the
> > backup tree from scratch?
>
> Yes, you don't need to start fresh.  It won't write metadata files for
> old data, but if a metadata file isn't found, metadata will be read
> from the actual files like before.  There is one issue though:
> previous versions stored old hard link information is a special file,
> which the new version doesn't support.  So if you restore an older
> backup (a backup that is not the current mirror and made by an older
> version) using the new version, no files will end up hard linked.

Good to hear, will upgrade pronto then!

--
Alan <address@hidden> - http://arcterex.net
"The only thing that experience teaches us is that experience teaches