Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Finding/designing a tar replacement

From: Kevin Spicer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Finding/designing a tar replacement
Date: 24 Sep 2003 08:46:38 +0100

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 23:36, Ben Escoto wrote:
> Hi, I am currently trying to find or create a file format that is like
> tar but better suited to non-tape usage.  This relates to duplicity,
> not rdiff-backup, but I was hoping there would be smart people on this
> list too who could come up with some valuable ideas.  So please
> forgive this off-topic post.

Hmmm, its your list, do what you want ;)

Have you considered using .iso (iso9660, ie CD rom format) files as the
container?  You can mount them under Linux as a file-system without
having to burn them to CD, and they are ideal for people who ultimately
want to store their backups on CD.  I suppose there might be issues with
having to split large files, and issues with what metadata the
file-system supports (but check the available extensions, there seems to
be a lot of options).  Certainly as a container format it has the
benefits of being a file-system so you can quickly access files anywhere
in it, you can store arbitrary extra data by simply creating an extra
top level hierarchy.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000