Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Finding/designing a tar replacement

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Finding/designing a tar replacement
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:09:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2003, Kevin Spicer wrote:

> I know you can use mkisofs to create an iso image without having to burn
> it to CD, however I'm not sure if it is possible to pipe mkisofs to
> cdrecord (I guess even if it were theres a risk of emptying the fifo and
> making a coaster).

you can, but it is a buffering issue... mkisofs does operate in two
passes, one to create the TOC, one to copy the files.

> There is a way of mounting a compressed filesystem, but I suspect it
> requires a non standard kernel patch.  Apparently Knopppix uses it to
> fit even more on their CD!

look for zisofs if you're looking for compressed isofs tools... it's also
used by hpa's redhat superrescue images.  (there's also even more
specialized stuff like cramfs, but it's not at all appropriate for
duplicity due to a bunch of limitations.)

there's an ext2 compression patch somewhere too... dunno how up to date it
is.

-dean