Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.13.4 released

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.13.4 released
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:59:38 -0800

> Wonderful!  I've been using 0.12 to do several Mac-to-Mac backups,
> being satisfied to give up Finder and resource forks.  Now I have a
> good reason to switch to 0.13. ;)

Good, but keep in mind that 0.13.x is a development series and those are
new features.  So do keep an eye on it and make sure it's actually
working.

> If I upgrade to 0.13 on both ends, should I expect the Mac metadata to
> be updated for the existing files that currently have only the data
> fork and no Finder info?  Or will I have to start over with a new
> backup?  Is there any other change in 0.13 that would require me to
> start over?
>
> (One of the backups is 26gb, and is done across the net over a DSL
> connection.  So you can see why I'd rather not have to start over. ;)

Yes, I think the mac metadata will be updated.  In fact currently I
think rdiff-backup may have the opposite "problem" when upgrading:
since 0.13.x stores more metadata (like uname and gname, not just uid
and gid), even normal unix files may be marked as changed when they
really aren't.  The diffs will be tiny individually, but it still
takes a long time and wastes a bit of disk space.

So don't start over, but it won't be as quick as a normal backup.

--
Ben Escoto