Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.13.4 released

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version 0.13.4 released
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:26:24 -0800

> Ben Escoto wrote:
>
> >Yes, I think the mac metadata will be updated.  In fact currently I
> >think rdiff-backup may have the opposite "problem" when upgrading:
> >since 0.13.x stores more metadata (like uname and gname, not just uid
> >and gid), even normal unix files may be marked as changed when they
> >really aren't.  The diffs will be tiny individually, but it still
> >takes a long time and wastes a bit of disk space.
>
> this is the problem we have on windows - except it happens every single time

Hmm, what does the new --compare option have to say (on high verbosity)?
I think it should say why rdiff-backup thinks a file has changed, which
could be useful here if in fact the files haven't changed.

Does it happen when backing up to/from a windows file system, or just
when running under windows?  (Often this isn't clear to me when I get a
"windows" bug report.)

Also, just curious, how are you debugging your windows version of
rdiff-backup?  If you are serious about getting the bugs out, you will
need some kind of test framework.  The rdiff-backup CVS already has many
(hundreds?) of unit tests, which would seem to be a good place to start.
Many won't be applicable, but at least it would be good to know exactly
what works and what doesn't under windows.

--
Ben Escoto