Re: [rdiff-backup-users] New Release: 1.2.1

From: Curtis Osterhoudt
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] New Release: 1.2.1
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:11:25 -0600

On Monday 25 August 2008 09:55:40 Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Curtis,

> > > it's just a minor-version diff warning. you can safely ignore it, or
> > > upgrade your linux server to 1.2.1.
> >
> > If I ignore it, how do I get rdiff to continue the backup? Of course,
> > that's probably covered in the (impressive---I've always liked the level
> > of care obviously given to it) documentation.
>
> It should continue anyway, not stop after giving that warning. If it does
> stop, could you give the entire output and the command line that you used
> to run it?
>
> Cheers, Chris.

   AHHH. Thanks for that, Chris. It prompted me to do some forensics which I
should have done in the first place.

   Yes, the backup *did* complete! There was a (non-fatal) warning issued.
Here's what I did:

rdiff-backup.exe --include "c:/Program Files/rdiff-backup" --exclude "c:/**"
c:/  gardyloo@<my_server_ip>::/home/gardyloo/test_bkup

   Then ssh prompted for the password, and the
Warning: Local version 1.2.1 does not match remote version 1.2.0.
line appeared on the Windows machine.

  I assumed the backup hadn't gone through, but upon checking the destination
director, I see that *something* happened -- the NON-EXISTENT source
directory "rdiff-backup" was created and backed up on the destination
machine. What I had WANTED to happen was that "Rdiff-backup" was backed up,
but Windows tab-completed it as a lowercase directory, and this is what
screwed things up. I've just re-run the command with a correct (extant on
Windows) directory, and things went through just fine.

         Thanks to all who made this release possible. I'm very excited to be
able to use it extensively now. I would also like to apologize to the list
for the static I've produced in figuring this out, and extend thanks to those
who've replied with offers to help.

               Best wishes,
                                    C. O.

Curtis Osterhoudt