Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Too many recent increments

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Too many recent increments
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:12:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Jon Dye wrote:

I've been using rdiff-backup for 6 months or so with no problems but
recently my backup is failing with the error "AssertionError: Too many
recent increments".

I get this error whether I'm doing a backup or --check-destination-dir.

I guess no-one has any suggestions on what I can do to fix this (or
what it might be)?

Skimming over the sources, this error suggests that, while trying to remove an increment, it found more than one. I guess that could mean it found an increment file without the corresponding mirror_metadata tree. If that's true, you most likely have a corrupted backup tree and continuing to use it would not be very wise. (Meaning: you can use the current state as a basis to start a new tree, loosing the history).

Could you run rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir with a higher verbosity level (say -v7) and paste the entire output, including a couple of lines before the backtrace starts? That could point us to one specific location and might help with 'fixing' the problem.

So trying to tackle the problem a different way, can anyone tell me if
it is possible to manually rollback the backup?  i.e. I want to remove
the last few backups I made and see if that will let me continue to
backup.

Usually: no. If the increments are broken, there's no way to get back to the state of a few backups ago. As the error message mentions too many recent increments and not too many ancient increments, the problem seems to be in your last few backups. Anyway, more debug will shed a better light on this.

Regards,
 Maarten