[rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?

From: Engel Sanchez
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:59:31 -0800 (PST)

Hello. I tried searching for this in the mailing list, but could not find a
definitive answer to my question, so...  I am using rdiff-backup to backup to a
local directory.  I would like to have this backup mirrored to another server
(and potentially mirrored a third time to another server with a portable hard
drive attached). Is it safe (and recommended) to just use rsync for the mirror
of the backup directory? What if rsync fails to finish a session? Will the
mirror of the backup directory end up in a consistent state such that I can
restore from it if necessary?  If this is not feasible, then I might try to
simply run rdiff-backup from the remote server from the original files and not
the local backup. But I would prefer to mirror the first backup if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

 Engel A. Sanchez

“Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or
baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and
you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old
man before you know it.”

http://engelsanchez.net