Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?

From: Alex Samad
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:13:16 +1100

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:52:03AM +0100, Cybertinus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using rdiff-backup to create the backups of my directories. It all
> goes to /backup, which is a external harddrive. Then I'm using rsync to
> mirror everything to /backup_sync, which is a second external harddrive.
> This one is encrypted and I move it to an external location once a week
> (and the disk from the external location then becomes the sync disk ;)
> ). I'm using this strategy because when I swap the sync disks, they are
> disconnected from my computer for a day. Some data I'm backing up every
> hour, so I need a external drive at my computer at all times.
> This system is working perfectly for me. The only thing I would
> recommend is to prevent running rdiff-backup at the same time as rsync.
> To prevent that your mirror is accidentally destroyed, because you would
> by rsyncing incomplete rdiff-backup data. I haven't build in this
> precaution in my backupscripts yet. For the time being I'm preventing it
> from running at the same moment by choosing the correct times in my
> cronjobs.

Hi

I am doing something similar.

local machine rdiff-backup to /backup (lvm partition).
then a rsync to the local backup server and at the same time a rsync to
an offsite location - via adsl.

I do this because my initial rdiff-backup can happen quickly and cause
the lest disruption - if the source is on a lvm I can take a snapshot
and use that but not all the sources are.

I have come across one problem, if the over adsl takes too long the
rdiff-backup destination on the local machine can change thus giving you
a non in sync backup offsite.

There is another thread asking for a tool to lock the destination to
prevent this

Alex

> Cheers,
> Cybertinus