Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?

From: Engel Sanchez
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to mirror backup dir with rsync?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:58:30 -0800 (PST)

Thank you all for your suggestions!  I'm going to go with the solution of doing
cascaded rdiff-backups both pointing at the source directories and without
rsync and simply spreading the cron jobs to avoid touching the sources while
they are updated (the sources are hot copies of a couple of databases and a
subversion repo).  Using rsync and risking leaving the remote backup in a bad
state didn't seem like a great idea to me. (Say rsync's connection breaks and
original server fails before next backup). At least rdiff-backup can deal with
a partially updated backup if also done by rdiff-backup.

 Engel A. Sanchez

“Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or
baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and
you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old
man before you know it.”

http://engelsanchez.net