Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: What happens if you add a --exclude to an e

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: What happens if you add a --exclude to an existing rdiff-backup?
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 08:39:15 +0000

I agree that makes sense in terms of the question in the body of your posting. But the subject of your posting was a slightly different question: 'What happens if you add a --exclude to an existing rdiff-backup?'

If a week ago you added --exclude /home/fred to your rdiff-backup line backing up /home, will /home/fred now be removed from the destination by a "--remove-older-than 5D" run?

In other words, if you add exclusion criteria to an existing rdiff-backup run, are the copies of the newly-excluded files removed from the main repository and placed in the increments folder [in which case they *would* be removed by a subsequent --remove-older-than command], or are they just left where they were [in which case they *wouldn't* be]?

I don't know the answer, but if someone does I would be interested.

Dominic