AW: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: What happens if you add a --exclude to

From: D. Kriesel
Subject: AW: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: What happens if you add a --exclude to an existing rdiff-backup?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 12:09:07 +0100

> Oops, I meant to change that, I haven't added an exclude to the
> rdiff-backup command.  What I have is an rsync across to the backup
> machine and then the rdiff-backup runs there.  I though I had a --exclude
> in the rdiff-backup run but it's actually in the rsync.  I only noticed
> this when I started composing the E-Mail and, as I said, forgot to
> change the subject.

If you use rsync with exclusions AFTER rdiff-backup, what you get are
inconsistencies in the final rdiff repository and therefore pain in the ass
when verifying it.
If you first rsync and then rdiff-backup, you should be fine whatsoever.

Long story short: Let only rdiff-backup perform operations whithin the
rdiff-backup repository. If you rsync the repository to some place excluding
parts of it, it will be like you deleted files out of it.