[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: What happens if you add a --exclude to an e

From: Chris G
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: What happens if you add a --exclude to an existing rdiff-backup?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 11:01:13 +0000

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 08:39:15AM +0000, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> I agree that makes sense in terms of the question in the body of
> your posting. But the subject of your posting was a slightly
> different question: 'What happens if you add a --exclude to an
> existing rdiff-backup?'

Oops, I meant to change that, I haven't added an exclude to the
rdiff-backup command.  What I have is an rsync across to the backup
machine and then the rdiff-backup runs there.  I though I had a --exclude
in the rdiff-backup run but it's actually in the rsync.  I only noticed
this when I started composing the E-Mail and, as I said, forgot to
change the subject.

> If a week ago you added  --exclude /home/fred to your rdiff-backup
> line backing up /home, will /home/fred now be removed from the
> destination by a "--remove-older-than 5D" run?
>
> In other words, if you add exclusion criteria to an existing
> rdiff-backup run, are the copies of the newly-excluded files removed
> from the main repository and placed in the increments folder [in
> which case they *would* be removed by a subsequent
> --remove-older-than command], or are they just left where they were
> [in which case they *wouldn't* be]?
>
> I don't know the answer, but if someone does I would be interested.

Yes, it's the question I originally *thought* I needed to ask.

--
Chris Green