Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] address@hidden: nongnu mirror]

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] address@hidden: nongnu mirror]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:16:11 -0500

    because at the time, sysadmin@ believed listing 2500+ projects would
    be resource-consuming for both Savannah and the client.

True enough, but it seems difficult to know what is available without a
listing.  This mirror -- unlike most, granted -- only provides http
access, which complicates things.  If you know what you're looking for
and are accessing it from the project page, fine.

How about making a separate page listing all the projects, and
providing a link to it?  It also seems pretty basic to provide a find -name
listing, if you're not already, as in find -name | gzip >find.txt.gz.
Could give a link to that too.

By the way, for mirmon purposes, we'll also want a cron job like this:
17 * * * * date +%s > /path/to/ftp/root>/mirror-updated-timestamp.txt

    This could be changed to a mirror listing page.

http://dl.sv.gnu.org/releases/ still comes up blank for me.

I was figuring that we would maintain the list in a sibling file to the
list of ftp.gnu.org mirrors (that is on http://gnu.org/prep), and then
synthesize an HTML file for them, again, analogous to ftp.gnu.org.