Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] address@hidden: nongnu mirror]

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] address@hidden: nongnu mirror]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 20:46:35 +0200

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 01:31:53PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>     creating a cronjob that creates an index.html containing the listing
>
> What?  Isn't any time simply a matter of how long it takes all those
> bytes to transfer over the net?
>
> This is why I suggested having a short index.html with a link to the
> long listing.

Hi,

Anyway this relates to an unclear decision from the (now replaced)
2003 FSF sysadmins, and nobody checks that project list page, so
better worry about it only if that cause troubles.

Similarly ViewCVS once prevented listing all available repositories;
due to problem with configuring it in such conditions, this is now
permitted, and I don't think this had any serious impact.

I also wonder whether the true reason wasn't to hide the few
non-public projects we host; preventing access to such projects
repositories sounds enough for me, no need to also hide their mere
existence :)

If at a point anyone is bored enough to spend time again on such
matters, I'd happily get help with
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/CurrentTasks - that is properly
securing the remaining 400/650 db requests in the Savane code, and
reducing the response time for project submissions to less than 30
days :P

--
Sylvain