Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Wiki update: list of public services

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Wiki update: list of public services
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:09:53 -0700

>     2. "dl:/etc/default/rsync" has this:
>           RSYNC_OPTS='--address=199.232.41.75'
>     Is this a left-over from an old server, or is it used for something?
>
> That's a gnu.org address (cname for rev-c41-75.gnu.org), but there's no
> forward dns A record for it now.  I imagine it used to be dl's public
> interface, when it also had a 10.x interface.  Then it was necessary to
> tell rsync to use the public interface.

That config isn't used now.  The /etc/default/rsync file also has:

  # start rsync in daemon mode from init.d script?
  #  only allowed values are "true", "false", and "inetd"
  #  Use "inetd" if you want to start the rsyncd from inetd,
  #  all this does is prevent the init.d script from printing a message
  #  about not starting rsyncd (you still need to modify inetd's config
yourself).
  RSYNC_ENABLE=inetd

Therefore the rest of the file isn't used.  Any non-default
configuration there is a leftover.

The config that actually controls it is:

File /etc/xinetd.d/rsync

  service rsync
  {
        disable         = no
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = nobody
        server          = /usr/bin/rsync
        server_args     = --daemon
  }

The xinetd config is listening on the wildcard address.  Which is
fine.  There is only the one public address there now.

> So, I think the option can be removed.  I wonder if rsync is logging
> somewhere that it's being told to use a nonexistent interface now ...

That config can be cleaned up and returned to a default state.

Bob