Re: Script knowing if in screen / screen window correponding to tty

From: Buddy Burden
Subject: Re: Script knowing if in screen / screen window correponding to tty
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:32:49 -0400

Jason,

  Check for the presence of the STY or WINDOW environment variable.

Ahh, good call!  Thanx.

  You might want to look at the 'shelltitle' screen option.

Sure, I use window titles all the time (I _have_ to, or I'd never find anything). I generally name my windows after what I'm doing in them (so there's a "code", a "test", a "doc", etc). But that doesn't always tell me enough, so I often find myself staring at the windowlist (which I just recently discovered ... I take it that's moderately new, since I've looked for such a thing several times in the past in vain). So I love the windowlist, but I'd love it even more if it told me the tty's of the various windows ...

If my window titles showed the name of the command running in them, about half of them would be named "vi". :-D

                -- Buddy