Scrolling, copying in Mac OS X

From: Christopher rasch
Subject: Scrolling, copying in Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:43:27 -0500

I frequently ssh into a remote machine at work from my machine at home (both running Mac OS 10.3.5). I often have to copy and paste error messages in the log files on the remote machine into my mail program (Mail.app) on my local machine. If the text I want to copy is longer than the size of my Terminal window, I highlight the text in the Terminal buffer by scrolling up the screen. When I paste the copied text into Mail.app, the formatting (returns, indenting) of the message is preserved.

However, in order to avoid having to restart all of the processes I'm working on if I get disconnected, I've started running screen (1) on the remote machine. Unfortunately, if I run screen, only the text that's visible in the terminal window can be highlighted--nothing in screens history seems to be visible to my local terminal. In addition, if I copy the text in the screen window into my mail program, I lose the space formatting, and it becomes an unreadable mash.

1. Is there a way to set up screen so that I can scroll further back (via Terminal) in it's history? 2. Is there a way I can change screens settings, so that the formatting of text copied from screen is preserved?

I've looked in the user manual linked below, and there are several possible variables I could change. Before I start going through them, I thought I would ask here in case someone knows where I should be looking. Thanks!

Chris

(1) http://rucus.ru.ac.za/docs/screen/index.html#Top