Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:43:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Micah Cowan wrote:

Perhaps he's referring to the fact that it won't work until the
application requests mouse tracking, and several applications don't
request mouse tracking from screen.

Is there a way to trace if this is happening? I've given you the applications I use. Micah, I've been a user and advocate of wget for many years. If you would like a shell, please let me know.

If that's the case, there's really nothing we can do until terminfo
supports a way of advertising DEC/xterm mouse capabilities (kmous
doesn't really cut it).

..if (windowtitle =~ /^nano/) { set sendmouseevents = 1; } would suffice just fine. Or just give us an option to toggle mouse events on or off by default. Or a ctrl-a :mouseon! My xterm doesn't know what on the other end of an SSH session is requesting or not, it just happily sends the click events down the pipe. Aware applications use them. Unaware apps discard them.

I'd need more info on the printing stuff, as I never use it. I assume
we're talking about the Print Window / Redirect to Printer feature Xterm
has, that's tracked at https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?17310. I don't
know enough to even know whether it's even practical to "fix" screen for
use with that, but a monetary incentive for fixing it would at least
motivate me to dig in a bit more (TBH, without that incentive it drops
to the bottom of my to-do list: not enough demand AFAICT).

Additionally to the requests I've made there -- a possible option is to disable the window-switching commands (in fact, disable ctrl-a entirely so the screen switching doesn't hose the print job -- but in reality the print comes over the wire so fast it's done in a second, on any modern connection).

Contact me out of band to discuss further if you want to pursue this route.

-Dan Mahoney

    Hey all,

    I need two features added to screen, but I'm not a coder.  I can
    (and have) discussed on this list, as well as having seen these
    features justified and explained on mailing lists before, but I
    don't believe they work at this time.

    1) Make printing work.  And by that I mean make it work JUST as it
    would work without screen, i.e. not "buffer" and send a bunch of
    printer stop/start sequences every 30 characters -- many SSH
    applications interpret that stop sequence as a page feed.

    2) Make mouse work.  I haven't seen much with this.

    I'm willing to toss something monetary at a developer or developers
    who can look at this and make it happen.

    Any takers?

    -Dan Mahoney

    --

    "It would be bad."