Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:32:33 +1000

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:36:02PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> The question is whether it can tell them _to_ send their events. And
> yes, that's accurate: a program that sends the "send mouse events"
> sequence to screen will have them passed along to other terms -
> provided that screen itself detects that it is being run in a
> mouse-capable display (determined by checking for the presence of
> either "xterm" or "rxvt" in the TERM value).

Please clarify: what are the semantics when using screen -x, say with
one TERM=xterm and one TERM=linux ?

Also, does this work correctly with xterm -e screen ssh fooserv screen
emacs -nw -- that is, when the "inner" screen sees TERM=screen rather
than TERM=xterm?  It seems to me that TERM=screen should be included
in the list of term types that screen expects to support mouse inputs.

> (This is _exactly_ why terminfo needs to be extended to allow
> advertising this feature.) That list ought to be expanded to include
> "screen" itself.  I thought I remembered patching that once, but
> maybe it was a distro-specific patch that didn't make it upstream,
> or something.

Oops, I guess that answers my second question :-)