Re: screen does not maintain terminal dimensions upon reconnect

From: Sebastian Kayser
Subject: Re: screen does not maintain terminal dimensions upon reconnect
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 00:13:22 +0200

Misha Koshelev wrote on 12.04.2010 21:09:
> I launch an interactive job on a node with the following command:
> screen -A -e^dD -h 100000 -S $1 $PROG
>
> I work and everything is great.
>
> Now _even without nesting_, when I reconnect:
> screen -drA $PID
> where $PID is the appropriate session ID, I get a virtual window _bigger_
> than my gnome-terminal.

I have never seen such a thing, so this is a shot in the dark. All on
the CentOS cluster node where you start/reconnect screen (you SSH from
your Ubuntu box to the CentOS node to start screen there, right?).

- Outside of screen before you reconnect, what does
  "stty -a | grep rows" say? Do rows and columns match your actual
  terminal dimensions?

- Also outside of screen before your reconnect, what does
  "echo $LINES $COLUMNS" say? Do these dimensions match your actual
  terminal dimensions?

- Does it make any difference if you issue /usr/bin/resize before
  you reconnect with screen? Difference in terms of stty -a, the
  $LINES $COLUMNS value, and of course the virtual window size
  within screen.

- Out of curiousity? Did you ever try this with another terminal than
  gnome-terminal, e.g. xterm?

Sebastian